Monday, January 03, 2005

Finding God in the 2004 Asian Earthquake and Tsunami

The world is still reeling from the recent earthquake and resultant tsunami in southern Asia. The current stats predict that over 150,000 are dead and that number will rise with disease and starvation. Just as with the 9/11 terrorist attack in the USA, there is much discussion about finding God’s hand in this tragedy. Some Christians will say it is a fulfillment of this or that prophesy proving that the end of the world is at hand. Some will say that it is punishment and condemnation for a largely Christ-less people. In a December 31st Washington Post article Shlomo Amar, Israel's Sephardi chief rabbi, is quoted to have said, "This is an expression of God's great ire with the world. The world is being punished for wrongdoing -- be it people's needless hatred of each other, lack of charity, moral turpitude." The article also notes that “Some organizations in India say the tsunami is ‘divine retribution’ for the arrest of … a Hindu religious leader.” But what does God’s Word say about such things?

In the Book of Job, Job and his friends are severely reprimanded by God for thinking that they know His mind and His will. In chapter 38 verses 1 through 24 we read:


1Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said,
2"Who is this that darkens counsel By words without knowledge?
3"Now gird up your loins like a man, And I will ask you, and you instruct Me!
4"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding,
5Who set its measurements? Since you know. Or who stretched the line on it?
6"On what were its bases sunk? Or who laid its cornerstone,
7When the morning stars sang together And all the sons of God shouted for joy?
8"Or who enclosed the sea with doors When, bursting forth, it went out from the womb;
9When I made a cloud its garment And thick darkness its swaddling band,
10And I placed boundaries on it And set a bolt and doors,
11And I said, 'Thus far you shall come, but no farther; And here shall your proud waves stop'
?
(Click here to read more)

This goes on for several chapters. We are not able to accurately discern the mind of God and Job answers God’s charge correctly in Job chapter 40 verses 3-5, “3 Then Job answered the LORD and said, 4 ‘Behold, I am insignificant; what can I reply to You? I lay my hand on my mouth. 5 ‘Once I have spoken, and I will not answer; Even twice, and I will add nothing more.” And again Job answers God in chapter 42:1-6:

1 Then Job answered the LORD and said, 2 "I know that You can do all things, And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted. 3 'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?' "Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know." 4 'Hear, now, and I will speak; I will ask You, and You instruct me.' 5 "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear; But now my eye sees You; 6 Therefore I retract, And I repent in dust and ashes."
It is inappropriate and shameful for us to make a pretence at knowing the mind and will of God in such things. So what is the Christians response? I think John Piper gives an appropriate response:

The heart that Christ gives to his people feels compassion for those who suffer, no matter what their faith. When the Bible says, “Weep with those who weep” (Romans 12:15), it does not add, “unless God caused the weeping.” … It is right to weep with those who suffer. Pain is pain, no matter who causes it. We are all sinners. Empathy flows not from the causes of pain, but the company of pain. And we are all in it together.

… Christ calls us to show mercy to those who suffer, even if they do not deserve it. That is the meaning of mercy—undeserved help. “Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you” (Luke 6:27). (Desiring God Ministries: Tsunami, Sovereignty, and Mercy. Dec. 29, 2004)
God is sovereign over all and nothing happens without God allowing it to happen – even when we can not comprehend any goodness coming from it. It is God who allowed this to happen. Why? We will most likely never now, but we can know that it is also God who stopped the waves from going any further than He wished (see Job 38:11 above).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home